The news continues to roll in about the horrific aftermath of yesterday's 2-mile wide tornado that has leveled two schools and multiple towns in the Moore, Oklahoma area near Oklahoma City. As this post goes live, 24 people are dead including 9 children who were in their last week of the school year. At latest count there are also 242 people who have been reported injured. Meanwhile, the destruction is overwhelming and the total cost of physical damage to property is still being tabulated.
|Worst Tornado in Oklahoma history struck May 20, 2013, NY Daily News Image|
|Immediate aftermath of Oklahoma Tornado yesterday, CNN Image|
When giving to the charitable effort, please be extremely careful about being scammed by unsavory characters who may be trying to take advantage of this most unfortunate situation that has impacted thousands of people. At a time like this, it is so sad to know that a few opportunists do indeed lurk among the masses who truly care and want to help.
If you'd like to lend a hand there are a number of legitimate things you can do to help. This list originally posted by Kelly Kinkaid appeared today on MomSpark.com which is published by my friend Amy Bellgardt, a leading mom blogger with kids who has resided in Oklahoma her whole life and lives just about 20 miles away from the storm's worst devastation.
I'll add additional resources to the list below as I can confirm their legitimacy.
|OKC area homes, business & 2 schools were flattened, Perez Hilton Image|
- Redcross.org or text REDCROSS to 90999
- The Salvation Army USA has mobilized emergency relief services in Oklahoma, including Moore, to dispense food, water and emotional support to first responders and survivors. Donate via their website or text STORM to 80888 to contribute $10 to the Salvation Army's relief efforts. You can also make a donation by calling 800-SAL-ARMY.
- Disaster Relief of Oklahoma Donate here
- United Way of Central Oklahoma Disaster Relief Fund Donate here
- Feeding America Disaster Relief Donate here
- Central Oklahoma Human Society To help pets Donate here
- Regional Food Bank of Oklahoma Donate here or text FOOD to 32333
Don't forget: You can also help spread the word simply by retweeting this post.
FTC Disclosure: This post is a community service to inspire mom bloggers to come to the aid of those in need. I did not receive any payment or other compensation associated with this particular post. See complete FTC Disclosure information that appears at the bottom of MommyBlogExpert's main page and at the bottom of every individual post on this blog, including this one.