Cinco de Mayo, Mexico's Independence Day celebration, wouldn't be the same without eating and drinking, right? However, this taco-filled and potentially high-fat holiday can be a nightmare for someone on a diet trying to lose weight or at least to avoid putting on a few pounds during holiday celebrations. Come to think of it, plenty of foodies who love authentic Mexican cuisine face these problems year-round. Not to worry, Chef Anthony Stewart, executive chef at the Pritikin Longevity Center and Spa in Miami, Florida has created some delicious, but no-salt skinny salsa recipes to help you out.
Pico de Gallo
Serve this heavenly, no-salt salsa created by Chef Anthony Stewart with washed & cut-up veggies like radishes, cherry tomatoes, carrot sticks, jicama sticks, broccoli florets. Plus pick up some baked, low-sodium tortilla chips such as Guiltless Gourmet or Garden of Eatin' Baked Yellow Chips to serve on the side.
|Pico de Gallo Salsa|
Cook Time 0 minutes
Makes 12 Servings
- 2 large tomatoes diced
- 1/2 red onion finely chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper finely chopped (remove seeds for milder salsa)
- 2 T. fresh cilantro chopped
- 2 fresh limes juiced
- 1 pinch black peppercorns ground
- Assorted raw vegetables
- Bag of low-sodium tortilla chips
1. Mix all ingredients (except raw vegetables & chips) in a mixing bowl.
2. Let sit for 15 minutes before transferring to serving dish.
3. Serve with an artfully arranged platter of raw veggies alongside the chips in a festive bowl.
Equally delicious and divine is this fruity, tropically-inspired salsa featuring mangoes, pineapple and more, also dreamed up by Chef Stewart. No salt, no added sugar, no waist-expanding oil or other fat. Who could ask for anything more?
Cook Time 5 minutes
Makes 12 Servings
- 1 red onion diced
- 1 T. fresh garlic minced
- 2 T. no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1/4 t. Tabasco
- 1 mango peeled and diced
- 1 cup pineapple diced
- 1 cup papaya peeled and diced
- 1 tomato diced
- 1 T. fresh oregano chopped
- 2 T. fresh basil chopped
- Garnish green onions chopped (optional)
- Garnish chives chopped (optional)
FTC Disclosure: Recipes and photos provided by Pritikin Longevity Center & Spa. No payment or other compensation was exchanged in connection with this post. See complete FTC Disclosure information that appears at the bottom of MommyBlogExpert's home page and at the bottom of every individual page including this one.