by Dahlia Rimmon, Food Blogger
I hope everyone has been enjoying making that yummy Green Smoothie recipe! Today, I have a delicious and healthy Coriander-Curry Garbanzo Beans plant-based protein recipe for you. I created this not only as an economic alternative to more costly chicken and meat dishes, but also for more variety and a protein-rich meal that is low in cholesterol.
The development of this particular dish has an interesting backstory. My husband lives with familial hypercholesterolemia, a genetic condition where too much cholesterol is stored in the body. Naturally, our body produces the cholesterol required for cellular structure and other bodily functions. Those with the condition my husband has tend to have excess cholesterol in their blood, which if not managed properly can lead to harmful cholesterol buildup and increase the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
Coriander-Curry Garbanzo Beans
- 1 can 15 oz garbanzo beans, rinsed with water
- 1 shallot
- 1 cup tomato or marinara sauce
- 1 T. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 t. ground coriander
- 1/4 t. curry powder
- 1/2 t. cumin
- 1/2 t. onion powder
- 1/2 t. garlic powder
- 2 dash dried oregano
- Sea salt, to taste
- Ground pepper, to taste
- 1 cup fresh spinach, washed (Optional)
3. Once most of shallot pieces are translucent, add the garbanzo beans and stir 1-2 minutes.
4. Add tomato/marinara sauce, lower heat and mix.
5. Add all spices to the pot and stir continuously 4-6 minutes.
6. Optional: add fresh spinach and mix until leaves wilt and fully coated in mixture.
1. I suggest rinsing the garbanzo beans because usually canned vegetables, especially beans, have been sitting in a sodium-rich liquid. Rinsing the beans will allow you to better control the amount of salt you add to the dish and is helpful for those of you who may be cooking for someone on a low-salt diet.
2. You can switch out the garbanzo beans for other beans. Kidney beans, for example, work well in this recipe.
About Dahlia Rimmon
Dahlia Rimmon, Los Angeles, California, also known as Dahlia Eats on Instagram, graduated from Stern College with a BA in Sociology. She is now pursuing a Master's in Nutrition and Dietetics and Dietetic Internship at California State University, Long Beach. To add to that already interesting combo, Dahlia is engaging her culinary creativity and passion for good food by concocting new, easy, and healthy recipes to share with this blog's readers, in addition to her friends and family. In her free time, she enjoys hiking, Krav Mega training, gardening with her husband, and smoothies. Seriously, Dahlia is obsessed with smoothies as you will soon see in her upcoming MBE posts.
Follow Dahlia on Instagram @DahliaEats to see more of her beautiful photos taken with a Samsung Galaxy S5 smartphone of everything new, healthy and delicious she's cooking up.