Hanukkah 2012 ~ December 8-16
Tonight, for the first night of Hanukkah, I made these homemade basic Golden Brown Crispy Potato Latkes with hand grated potatoes. If you've only made this traditional Chanukah dish with the store-bought mix before, you should try these instead -- likely you'll never make that other fast food variety of latkes again.
Really. These are so good, so easy to make, require just a handful of ingredients and on top of it all they'll be the best tasting potato pancakes you've ever had. What's more is if you make these for your family and guests they will most definitely be impressed with your cooking skills.
by Janis Brett Elspas, Mommy Blog Expert
8 peeled potatoes
1/4 of a yellow onion
1/4 cup flour
1 t. salt
1/4 t. black pepper
Olive oil for frying
1. Preheat a large frying pan lightly coated with olive oil over medium heat.
2. Immediately after peeling potatoes immerse them in a pot of cold water to keep from turning brown.
3. Hand grate potatoes the old-fashioned or using a food processor for grating.
4. Finely chop onion.
5. Mix all ingredients together, except the oil, in a large mixing bowl until blended.
6. Turn heat up under frying pan to high and spoon potato mixer into hot oil flattening each latke slightly. Do this carefully so oil doesn't spatter. Also don't crowd latkes in pan to ensure the best result -- instead cook in batches.
7. Fry to golden brown then gently use spatula to turn and brown the other side.
8. Drain on paper towels to remove excess grease.
9. These are excellent plain, with a little applesauce or with a spoonful of sour cream on top.
10. Most important of all serve hot and enjoy!
FTC Disclosure: No payment or other compensation was received for this post, opinions are my own. See complete FTC Disclosure information that appears at the bottom of MommyBlogExpert's main page and at the bottom of every individual post on this blog, including this one.