1st in a multi post series
Having attended San Diego 2011 and New York 2012, this is my third BlogHer. So wanted to share some wisdom and tips I've learned by experience. The goal of this post series is simply to maximize everyone's chance of a positive experience at #BlogHer13 -- whether you're a newbie or seasoned pro like me -- who will be descending upon Chicago for the mother of all women's blogging conferences one week from now.
Here's a scene from last summer's BlogHer with New York City as the backdrop...
|Me (left) w/ Friends WellConnectedMom & QuirkyFusion, MommyBlogExpert.com|
- The time to start packing is NOW so you will slowly add everything you need rather than throwing things haphazardly into your bags the night before you leave -- Yes, I've been there and done that in case you're wondering!
- If you don't have business cards go out and get some printed right away -- I'd suggest ordering 250-500 cards, depending on how aggressively you'll be handing them out when networking and entering contests in the expo hall
- The weather in Chicago is HOT and humid outside but you'll also be in air conditioning so be sure to keep that in mind as you assemble your wardrobe for this event and plan to dress in layers so you'll be comfortable day or nite
- Don't bring more clothes, shoes and accessories than you will have time to change into during the crazy busy days/nights of the conference
- Speaking of shoes, be sure to at least bring one comfortable pair as many of you will be walking a lot more than you are accustomed to -- Believe me, everyone else will be running around too, so likely they won't be checking out your footwear at least during daytime
- Bring one large, lightly-packed suitcase with another suitcase inside so that on the return trip you'll have enough space for all the SWAG (stuff we all get) - If this is your first conference you are going to be shocked how fast your suitcases fill up with all the goodies before the return home
- Alternately you might use the FedEx Shipping Center within the Sheraton Chicago where you can box up and ship home whatever you collect during the conference that doesn't fit in your suitcases and carryons, but beware this option can cost a fortune
- Make sure ALL your luggage and carry-ons are labeled with tags with your contact info in case they get lost enroute or as you arrive at the hotel with many others
FTC Disclosure: I've attended multiple BlogHer conferences and have also been a speaker at this event. I have paid for my own 2013 full conference ticket and did not receive any compensation for this post. Thoughts here are my own. See complete FTC Disclosure information that appears at the bottom of MommyBlogExpert's main page and at the bottom of every individual post on this blog, including this one.