I am partnering with Hire Influence, Southwest Airlines and Mondelez/Ritz Crackers for a food and travel inspired blog post series. This is a sponsored post, however opinions are my own.
VOTE for this Mini Tostadas Recipe and while you're there enter to WIN $5000 in Southwest Airlines giftcards.
Southern California living does have lots of advantages. Beyond the warm year round weather here making it possible to spend lots of time outdoors, one of the things I love most about the L.A. lifestyle is that the regional cuisine is heavily influenced by Mexican food. In fact the USA-Mexican border is just about a two hour drive south of where we live. Another plus is that avocados, my personal favorite Hispanic cooking ingredient, are grown locally, are inexpensive and almost always available in winter, spring, summer and fall.
Be sure to also check out the new Jamaica Coconut Pineapple Cheesecake recipe I also created using Ritz Crackers, inspired by my Southwest Airlines dream destination which is Montego Bay, Jamaica.
California Mini Tostadas
Time to Make: 1 hour
Makes 32 Appetizers
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1/4 large onion chopped
- 6 ozs. ground beef or vegetarian protein alternative
- 1/4 seeded & chopped red bell pepper
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 2 t. cumin
- 1 t. ground oregano
- salt & pepper
- 1 roll Ritz Crackers (32 crackers)
- 6-8 roma tomatoes w/ diameter similar to crackers
- 1 cup guacamole
- 1/2 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
- fresh oregano sprigs to garnish
Make the Tostada Filling
1. On the stove top heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat, add chopped onion and saute till golden. Add chopped pepper and minced garlic and continue to cook for another 2 minutes.
2. Add cumin, ground oregano, salt and pepper, and ground beef or veggie protein alternative. Gently stir all, cooking until well-browned, about 10-12 minutes.
3. Set aside ground meat/veggie filling to cool.
Assemble the Mini Tostadas
4. Layout Ritz crackers right side up on a clean, dry work surface.
5. Cut roma tomatoes crosswise into 1/4" thick circles and place one on each cracker.
6. Using a small spoon transfer about a teaspoon full of the meat mixture onto the top of each tomato slice, pressing gently so it stays on the appetizers.
7. Carefully spoon approximately 1 t. of guacamole onto top of the meat mixture on each appetizer.
8. Top guacamole on each appetizer with a small amount of grated cheddar cheese.
9. Transfer to platter and add the fresh oregano sprigs to garnish.
10. Pass around the appetizer platter to your guests and watch them enjoy your creation.
About Southwest Airlines
Dallas-based Southwest Airlines is in its 44th year of service with 47,000 employees serving 100 million customers each year. The airline operates 3,600 flights per day, serving 94 destinations across the U.S. including my hometown of L.A. and six additional countries. For more information visit the official website as well as follow Southwest on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
About Ritz Crackers
Ritz Crackers are a classic snack which has been enjoyed for generations. They're widely available and easy to find in markets across America. Flavors to choose from include Original, Whole Wheat, Bacon, Garlic Butter and other varieties. Learn about Ritz Crackers on the official website where you'll also find lots more delicious recipes. You can also stay up on everything the brand is doing and get more ideas of how to enjoy Ritz Crackers by following them on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Google+.
BIG #LuvRitzSweepstakes GIVEAWAY
Remember to VOTE for this Mini Tostadas Recipe and while you're there enter to WIN $5000 in Southwest Airlines giftcards.
FTC Disclosure: In concert with Hire Influence, I am being compensated for this Southwest Airlines and Mondelez/Ritz Crackers blog series campaign. However opinions here are my own. See complete FTC Disclosure information that appears at the bottom of MommyBlogExpert's home page and at the bottom of every individual post on this blog, including this one.