The Chinese New Year and the Year of the Monkey is right around the corner, starting on February 8th. By popular demand, to help you celebrate with lots of deliciousness, here's the post MBE published last year again with several excellent recipes your whole family will likely enjoy.
|Chinese New Year decorations, MommyBlogExpert.com|
Tofu Wonton Soup
Yields 4-6 Servings
- 1 pkg House Foods Premium or Organic Tofu Extra Firm, drained & pressed
- 1 pkg House Foods All Natural Small Square Wraps
- 2/3 cup dried shiitake mushrooms, reconstituted and finely chopped
- 2/3 cup napa cabbage, finely chopped
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, mined or grated
- 1.5 Tbsp ginger, minced or grated
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1.5 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sake
- 2 tsp potato starch or arrowroot powder
- 1 (32 oz.) container low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 in. piece ginger finely chopped
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Sesame oil
- Green onion for garnish
|My daughter Sarah's homemade wontons, MommyBlogExpert.com|
1. In a large bowl, crumble Tofu or mash with fork. Add mushrooms, cabbage, green onions, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, soy sauce, sake and potato starch. Mix well with hands.
2. Add water to a small bowl. Lightly wet edges of wrap. Add 1 tsp of filling to the middle of wrap. Fold wrap in half, forming a triangle. Repeat with all wontons and set aside.
3. Next, prepare the soup using a soup pot. Start by heating the sesame oil, the add the garlic and ginger and saute for a few minutes till translucent. Carefully add the chicken broth to the pot and bring to a gentle boil over medium heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Lower wontons into soup with a slotted spoon and simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring gently occasionally being careful not to overcook wontons.
5. Laddle into individual soup bowls and garnish each serving with shredded green onion if desired.
Chinese Tofu Sweet Egg Tart
Yields 24 individual mini desserts
- 1/2 pkg House Foods Premium or Organic Tofu Soft
- 24 phyllo shells (alternate option: 12 mini graham cracker pie shells)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
1. Combine Tofu, sugar, cornstarch, egg yolk, vanilla and salt to the bowl of a food processor and puree until smooth to form a custard.
2. Fill each phyllo cup with custard about 1/8 in. from the top of the crust.
3. Bake at 375 degrees for approximately 20 minutes.
4. Cool and serve either warm or at room temperature.
FTC Disclosure: Recipes and some photos provided by House Foods America. No payment or other compensation was exchanged in connection with this post. See complete FTC Disclosure information that appears at the bottom of MommyBlogExpert's home page and at the bottom of every individual page including this one.