Fourth of July is the perfect excuse to get together with family and friends -- come to think of it, so is any summer BBQ or picnic. These Whoopie Pies by FamilyFun magazine are just the thing to serve when you entertain at any warm weather outdoor events. Not only will kids love eating these red white and blue patriotic desserts, they might even want to join in the fun of baking and/or decorating.
Patriotic Whoopie Pies
Follow the easy step-by-step directions to make this sparkling special treat which can easily be adapted for other holidays, like Christmas or Valentines Day, simply by changing the color of the sprinkles.
Time to Make: Under 1 hour
Makes 15 Servings
- 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 4 oz bittersweet chocolate, melted
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Dutch-process dark cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 4 T. unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/4 cup Marshmallow Fluff
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Red, white & blue sprinkles
1. To make the cakes, preheat oven to 350 degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Cream butter and brown sugar with an electric mixer until combined, then beat in chocolate and vanilla. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each.
3. In a large bowl whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. With the mixer set to low, add 1/2 the flour mixture to the butter mixer and beat. Mix in buttermilk and remaining flour mixture. Beat until combined.
4. Drop rounded tablespoons of batter onto the prepared baking sheets, leaving enough space for spreading in between.
5. Bake for 11 minutes. Cool on baking sheet 5 minutes, then move to rack to complete cooling.
6. While the cakes are baking make the filling by beating the softened butter until smooth. Gradually add the confectioners' sugar until combined. Add Marshmallow Fluff and mix well.
7. To assemble whoopie pies, sandwich a heaping tablespoon of between two cakes. Roll edges gently in sprinkles.
8. Serve on a dessert platter. Or, for a festive presentation, wrap individual pies in colorful tissue paper and tie with colored string or ribbon as shown.
About FamilyFun Magazine
FamilyFun magazine offers a range of fun and creative recipes, crafts and activities to do with kids. For lots more ideas and to keep up on everything they're doing, visit the official site and follow the brand on Pinterest.